Sunday, November 20, 2011

Temptations

I really appreciated today's verse. I definitely needed this particular reminder.
There is NO temptation that can overcome me.
I have a choice to make....
I choose to rely on God's strength.
Or, I can try to rely on my own strength and fail.

The scriptures says:

1 Corinthians 10:13
Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
The only temptations that you have are the same temptations that all people have. But you can trust God. He will not let you be tempted more than you can bear. But when you are tempted, God will also give you a way to escape that temptation. Then you will be able to endure it.

There is a key point to this verse... We have to TRUST God. We have to RELY upon God. If we do not rely on Him, we will not know the way of escape..We need strength to endure it! Our strength is not enough. We need God's strength!

The definition of temptation is the act of tempting. Tempting has a couple of different definitions such as:
A. to entice or allure to do something often regarded as unwise, wrong, or immoral.
B. to attract, appeal strongly to, or invite: The offer tempts me.
C. Provoke

Temptations take many forms. If it was spending money, one might not go to the mall. If it is junk food, one might not store junk food at home. If the temptation is watching tv, someone may get rid of cable or unplug their tv. Temptations may take many shapes and forms..

I have been praying that if I am doing something to make myself stumble that God would show me. This is exactly what He did today. I know, I have fallen prey and found myself in tough spots that I thought were something I could handle on my own. There are temptations that I did not even recognize as a temptation. It was just something that was bugging me in a sense, I suppose.

More than ever, I am realizing just how much I need to be on my guard. I have been caught unguarded, and am experiencing temptations, because I was not well guarded. Luckily now that God has revealed this area to me, I know that I can just keep praying over it and giving it to Him. I need to continue in His Word, and let it continue to build me up and draw me closer to Him!

God is definitely still in the business of restoring broken people, which excites me. Even though I have areas where I have given into temptations time and time again, God is still FULL of Grace and Everlasting Love and Truth.. There is nothing too big for God to handle..

The key is keep on Trusting Him, and praying about this area of my life with God.

In closing today's thoughts, I would like to include the points from the devotional. In today's devotion, Joyce Meyer gave five things that make a difference in dealing with our temptations:

1. Be wise about your decisions. Think about your actions and what kind of reactions they will make.

2.Believe you can resist the temptation

3. think of facing temptation as normal life. If you're expecting a fight, you'll always be ready.

4. avoid areas of weaknesses

5.Recognize that you are going to struggle with a temptation. Do not give yourself too much credit, and assume it will not be a trouble area because you have stumbled before. That will make you an easy target.

0 comments:

Post a Comment