Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This Battle

It has been a week since my diagnosed of Fibromyalgia, and it has not been an easy week per-say. I have had an ongoing struggle. People ask me how I am, and I battle the usual "okay" versus saying how I truly feel. But when people are asking as they walk away, how can you say "No, I am not okay." Or how do you say, "you know what, I am not doing so good today."

I do not think it has hit me yet. I think I am still waiting to wake up, and have it disappear. Since that does not look like it is going to happen anytime soon, I am doing what I can. I am researching. I am noticing how the symptoms of this illness progress. I am medicating myself through a nightly prescribed medicine and daily vitamins. I have regained some of my spiritual strength, and I am putting on my armor to fight this battle.

Fibromyalgia is like other battles we all face. Whether they are friendships in turmoil, temptations of our old self, and other trials and temptations. The trials keep us down for moments at a time, but we can choose how to fight. When we weak, it is easy to be overcome by life's adversities. This is what the adversary one wants. The devil wants to kick us while we are down. And at times, I am sure he does kick us while we are done. I know I have felt some of those very hard punches in the face lately.

In James 1:2, scripture reminds us that trials should be considered pure joy. Some days, I wonder how they can be considered joy. Some days, I think they are pure joy. It may mean that we must be doing really well spiritually if the devil finds us worth picking on. And on those other days, I do not have the strength to fight or think about the fight. On these particular days, I get punched extra good. These days mean I have not thought or prayed about a plan of attack. How will I handle this today?I need to have plans of attacks, if I plan on winning the battle. I need new methods of fighting.

On Sunday, I was reminded of the One who fights on my behalf. Jesus is winning the victory for me. I cannot give up, even on the days I want to. When I made weak, He is my strength. I become completely dependent on Him, and that is when His strength is more than enough.

In the Common English Bible, Philippians 4:13 is worded this way: " I can endure all these things through the power of the one who gives me strength." We can endure ALL these things through the Power of God. That kinda makes it hard to give up when we have that verse in mind, doesn't it?

As my weak arms and hands compose this blog, I know how easy it is to say "Well I hurt, and can't do this!" Do you have another option? We can either try to fight in our own strength and lose the battle, or we can trust in Him completely and let Him become our strength.. The choice to fight is more than a daily struggle. But it is also all we have. We are the only ones that can say "let's do this." Sometimes the ones fighting this battle is only us and Jesus, and no-one else. But, we can do this!

2 Corinthians 12:10 says, "Therefore, I’m all right with weaknesses, insults, disasters, harassments, and stressful situations for the sake of Christ, because when I’m weak, then I’m strong."

While I am not "all right" with my weakness, I choose to let God fight my battle for me. Prayer is the cornerstone for any battle. We would not go into a war-zone without armor. We need prayer to face this hidden battle. It is not so well hidden. We experience some kind of battle daily. Maybe, physical. Maybe, emotional. Maybe, spiritual. But we encounter battles daily, and we should greet them with prayer.

Here are some of the bible verses I have been wrestling with as I undergo this invisible, but very real battle....

Exodus 14:14
"The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”

Deuteronomy 1:30-31
"The LORD your God is going before you. He will fight for you just as he fought for you in Egypt while you watched, and as you saw him do in the desert. Throughout your entire journey, until you reached this very place, the LORD your God has carried you just as a parent carries a child."

Ephesians 6:10-13;18
"Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and his powerful strength. Put on God’s armor so that you can make a stand against the tricks of the devil. We aren’t fighting against human enemies but against rulers, authorities, forces of cosmic darkness, and spiritual powers of evil in the heavens."

Therefore pick up the full armor of God so that you can stand your ground on the evil day and after you have done everything possible to still stand.

Offer prayers and petitions in the Spirit all the time. Stay alert by hanging in there and praying for all believers."

0 comments:

Post a Comment