Monday, September 19, 2011

-James 1:2-4

James 1:2-4 (The Message)

"Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way."

Even though I want so badly to feel better, I know that my faith is at work. As I sit here and have enjoyed a good day as far as my health goes. God is testing me, and building up my faith. We are called to consider it an absolute gift from God where we are pressed on all sides and under tests. It does not always feel like a blessing though, does it?

I personally do not feel the blessing until after the test is over, then I can smile and say "Finally, God. Thank you! It is finally OVER!!" I enjoy the effects of the suffering, but not the trial. I enjoy the faith that is being built, but I despise the learning time. It can be seen as the equivalent to wanting the degree, but not wanting the years of work it takes to get that college degree.

Trials force us to show our faith for what it really is. Through our trials, we (and everyone else) see our faith for whatever it is. It is an encouraging experience, especially when we think about Philippians 1:6 which says: " he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

God is continuing to work in me. It is painful. It is ugly. It is uncomfortable. But, it is progress. It is reassurance that God never gives up on me, because I am constantly reminded that I will fail without Him by my side!

0 comments:

Post a Comment