Monday, December 12, 2011

Logged Out

I have officially logged out of facebook, which never happens. I just need a break. A time to just disengage and be present in whatever is going on in my life. This week is going to be crazy between reading a book for class, turn in reflection, writing a pretty big final paper, attending class, and getting everything ready for Saturday's early morning drive to Fresno for my graduation. Seems like a good time to retune myself into blogging, which is a spiritual discipline that I have been lacking lately.

Instead of gaming on facebook, I can play a game with my nephew. Instead of socializing with my friends (whom I dearly love), I can *hopefully* spend more time in prayer and diligently seeking God. Facebook is great, but when it isn't done with self-control---it isn't all that great.

Signing off facebook for a while may just be my way of coping with life, and it's crazy way of feeling the full roller coaster effect.

Disengaging and finding some sort of solitude is what I seek. It may be found through music, quiet walks with the Father, or through taking silent moments to blog and write what is happening in the now..but it is solitude I seek..
To quote Thomas Merton, who was a monk who knew a thing or two about contemplative living and the pursuit of solitude..
Merton said:
"Solitude is not something you must hope for in the future. Rather, it is a deepening of the present, and unless you look for it in the present you will never find it.”

Unless we look for it, we will never find it! What if we are too "busy" with facebook or something else, and we miss solitude...and the inner peace it gives us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment