Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Good Shepherd

What I find amazing this Christmas is not the gifts, food, or anything else. What I constantly find amazing that brings me to my knees is my Creator, Savior, and continues to be my shepherd.

I find myself in awe of Him the One I call my shepherd, Savior, and Friend! He is the name above all names! Only He can carry the burdens of my heavy soul no matter what it is we face---He is there ready to hold us and help us through it all. Today, I have just been reflecting and coming to a deeper realization of who God is as my shephard and soul keeper.. It is about recognizing who God is as my shepherd. The one who tends to my soul, and enables me to continue on despite what may happen or how I may feel..

God is soooo good to me, and nothing compares to Him. And, I want to learn more about Jesus as my shepherd!

So often this world is just spinning way out of control and is monitored by its extreme busyness, I am all too aware of the need to just quiet down and slow down. I think this is what the Lord is continuing to show me how to do. I have been forced to slow down quite a bit, but the rest I do willingly. I willingly slow down, and ignore everything else today. The cleaning can wait. The baking can wait (although we will not be doing much baking). The dishes can wait.

It is time that I took more time to bask in my Savior's presence. It is time to realize what I have, when I have Jesus as my good shepherd. It is time to start new habits, and change the way life is lived. It is easy to get caught up in the busyness of this world. I have done it, so I know how easy it is to do. But, is it worth the busyness? Is the task worth doing if we must do it in a hurry? Around this time of year, accumulating more stuff seems more important than enjoying the ones we love. Cooking seems to take place over sitting and basking in His presence. These are why I am glad our family traditions are mellow. I can begin new traditions that focus on basking in His presence versus continually doing.

As the new year approaches, numerous changes are in store I am sure. One of them is learning how to recognize that I am in the Lord's presence constantly, and make a lifestyle out of basking in His presence wherever I am.

Here are a few of the verses that I have been reflecting on as Jesus, my good shephard:

Psalms 23:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil,
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Isaiah 40:11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

Ezekiel 34:2 "Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock?

Ezekiel 34:11 "'For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them.

Ezekiel 34:23 I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd.

John 10:7-18:
So Jesus said again, “I assure you, I am the gate for the sheep. All those who came before me were thieves and robbers. The sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved. They will be able to come in and go out. They will find everything they need. A thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy. But I came to give life—life that is full and good.
“I am the good shepherd, and the good shepherd gives his life for the sheep. The worker who is paid to keep the sheep is different from the shepherd. The paid worker does not own the sheep. So when he sees a wolf coming, he runs away and leaves the sheep alone. Then the wolf attacks the sheep and scatters them. The man runs away because he is only a paid worker. He does not really care for the sheep.

“I am the shepherd who cares for the sheep. I know my sheep just as the Father knows me. And my sheep know me just as I know the Father. I give my life for these sheep. I have other sheep too. They are not in this flock here. I must lead them also. They will listen to my voice. In the future there will be one flock and one shepherd. The Father loves me because I give my life. I give my life so that I can get it back again. No one takes my life away from me. I give my own life freely. I have the right to give my life, and I have the right to get it back again. This is what the Father told me.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment